Without the military and defense the scale of innovation would not be the same. Look at what the internet did for the global economy contributing 100s of billions of dollars!
From WW2 to now and what’s impacting society and business the most is what the military does. The Pentagon, Talpiot, NSA, Unit 8200, NASA, DAPRA, GCHQ, universities funded by government, etc. These are the “accelerators” and “incubators” of what really is the key to innovation. Supplychain Management, Microchips, electronics, software, GPS, mobile technology, medical technology, microwaves, driverless cars, the list is literally endless.
Some examples below.
http://startupnationbook.com (“START-UP NATION addresses the trillion dollar question: How is it that Israel – a country of 7.1 million, only 60 years old, surrounded by enemies, in a constant state of war since its founding, with no natural resources—produces more start-up companies than large, peaceful,and stable nations like Japan, China, India, Korea, Canada, and the UK? How is it that Israel has, per person, attracted over twice as much venture capital investment as the US and thirty times more than Europe?”)
‘The Entrepreneurial State’: Apple Didn’t Build Your iPhone; Your Taxes Did
From Robot Soldiers To Driverless Cars, DARPA Advances Innovation
Presentation: “Where Good Technologies Come From”
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE IMPACT OF BLETCHLEY PARK ON WWII, THE TWENTIETH CENTURY AND THE WAY WE ALL LIVE TODAY
VIDEOS OF 50 YEARS OF DARPA ACHIEVEMENTS
DARPA’s Role in IT Innovations – How a freewheeling government agency became the world’s most powerful engine for advances in IT http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9035275/DARPA_s_Role_in_IT_Innovations
“Special Forces” Innovation: How DARPA Attacks Problems
The Role of DARPA in Seeding and Encouraging Technology Trajectories: Pre- and Post- Tony Tether in the New Innovation Ecosystem
Israeli military intelligence unit drives country’s hi-tech boom – Unit 8200, Israel’s ‘GCHQ’, has spawned more technology millionaires than many business schools
Spies, Inc.: Business Innovation from Israel’s Masters of Espionage
Soldiers of Fortune
The Entrepreneurial State’ by Mariana Mazzucato
Israel: Boot camp for start-up success
UK Universities awarded Academic Centre of Excellence status in Cyber Security Research
Innovation Pricewaterhouse Coopers Government’s Many Roles in Fostering Innovation
What does this signify? The greatest impact of technologies that we see today and will see tomorrow will in a very large proportion be incubated and built out for the battlefield in the bid to keep the peace. The innovation comes in and disrupts the status quo when entrepreneurial ecosystem from ideas to plans to risk capital from tech clusters such as Silicon Valley, Stanford, MIT, Tel Aviv, Boston, London, etc. all collaborate to create the next big thing.
So now we know what is the key to regions, countries or communities that will continue to lead the engine of any economy and the creative destruction that follows. Now you also know where to put your mindshare, time and capital. This is where some of the smartest minds and social networks exists and where the real competitive advantage lies. After all look at the wealth creation ever since these government agencies got involved and look at the GDP impact. Just look at NASDAQ.
- Job creation, innovation & peace? We need the military, DARPA, NASA, Talpiot, InQTel, Stanford, MIT? (gerardjrego.com)
- Taskmasters: how Israeli intelligence officers helped inspire the look of iOS 7 (theverge.com)
- Pentagon’s DARPA works on reading brains in real time. (zedie.wordpress.com)
- The Best Tech School On Earth Is Israeli Army Unit 8200 (grumpyelder.com)
- An insider’s take on Israel’s start-up success (venturebeat.com)
- Cyberwar, the Internet and the Militarization of Civil Society (rinf.com)
- Consumerization of the “Aerospace & Defense” industry will dominate this era of business (gerardjrego.com)
- DARPA offering $2 million to anyone who can build Skynet software (techi.com)
- Pentagon’s DARPA works on reading brains in real time (peanutbuttersunrise.com)
- DARPA wants to put chips in the brain of soldiers to help with mental illness (dottech.org)