I saw this about Amazon Fresh and a great example of how every company realizes that the final battleground is the First Mile, while almost every business looks the consumer as the Last Mile. This is the disruptive opportunity for the established players as well as startups. Why?
Forrester: U.S. Online Retail Sales to Hit $370 Billion by 2017
This is the bottom-line. mCommerce, Cross Border Trade, Omni-channel commerce logistics and cash to commerce cycles are critical and have every single retail and commerce company from Walmart and Target to Google, Amazon and eBay looking at this disruptive space. Every company is going after the First Mile opportunity.
Why is hyper-as a prefix of value? Fragmentation of demand-supply markets.
Google Spent Nearly $1B to Acquire Waze
KILLER APP! FRAGMENTED MARKETS, CROWDSOURCING BUSINESS MODELS AND MOBILITY
Why are fragmented markets the next big thing?
This is really a great example of “Software eats Hardware”. The Business Model in the ecosystem APIs are the key. The images below speak for themselves.
The First Mile opportunity.
Another example of how retailers BAM as well as online are working to solve the Mass Personalization at the First Mile (Last Mile in their DNA) challenge.
This is where the competitive advantage lies and impact on core. Software APIs around the core business model and the ecosystem to consumer cycle.
The First Mile Next Mile and Software eats Hardware ecosystems. The fundamentals are at stake. This is Software API.
- Amazon-branded groceries? New job posts hint at possibility http://www.geekwire.com/2013/job-postings-point-amazon-brand-groceries/
- Insight from Analytics – A “hyperlocal social commerce marketplace”? Live business plan! (gerardjrego.com)
- Crowdsourcing marketplaces around Internet of Things are disruptive (gerardjrego.com)
- Mass Personalization – Future of eCommerce and Manufacturing (gerardjrego.com)
- Amazon to deliver on Sundays using the postal fleet (newsday.com)
- Walmart Seeks an Edge with Mobile (enterprisetech.com)
- Forget Black Friday, Is Your eCommerce Store Ready for Thanksgiving? (marketingpilgrim.com)
- Retail + Social + Mobile = @WalmartLabs (anand.typepad.com)
- How Same-Day Delivery Can Give Brick-And-Mortar Retailers an Edge (streetfightmag.com)
- Ebay aims for one-hour delivery (bbc.co.uk)